Sunday, January 23, 2011

Life with Rice and Beans

I think it's probably time for another glimpse into my rice and beans life. Here are some of my favorite and/or most challenging moments from the past week...

At the start of the week, I was at risk of running out of rice cakes. So, I ventured into a grocery store. Thankfully, it wasn't as difficult as I expected it to be. Granted, I made sure to stay far away from the produce, bakery, and meat sections. I stocked up on rice cakes and got out of there as quickly as possible. Those M&Ms in the check out aisle sure were tempting though...

The water dog was running out of kibble so a trip to Petsmart became necessary. While there, I noticed that there is such a thing as rice kibble made by Science Diet, Darcy's favorite brand. I thought about buying it but when I saw its high price, I decided the water dog was already doing enough for the project and didn't need to fast as well...

For those of you who don't know, I work for our county library system. About 80% of my job involves ordering materials for our ten branches. Now, there are a lot of books published each year but we obviously can't buy everything. (Especially right now with the dismal budget we're dealing with...) I have learned to be very discerning in what I order. This week unfortunately I ran into a problem. Every single cookbook I read reviews on looked fantastic! I could feel my mouth watering as I read about recipes and looked at book covers. An order had to be made so I was forced to make a decision. Hopefully, the choices I pushed myself to make were the right ones. I fear though that this month's batch of new cookbooks will be predominately about deserts...

On Thursday I had a two and a half hour meeting at work. An hour and half of it involved a chocolate cake sitting on the table right in front of me. What a wonderful smell! I think I'll be adding chocolate cake to my list of items I will be eating on February 1st.

My amazing friend Crystal cooked me dinner this week. She has wanted to do this since the beginning of my fast, and it finally worked out with our schedules. Crystal is a vegetarian so I didn't feel guilty letting her cook for me because she's content eating rice and beans. We had a great chili made only with beans. I didn't even miss tomatoes. My favorite moment came when Crystal said, "You have to have desert!" and we started experimenting with rice cereal.

My hands down favorite moment of the week though had to be when donations towards our well passed $1000! God is on the move, and I am so excited to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment