Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Obligatory Librarian Post

There's no way I could have a blog and not have a post related to books at some point! It's actually pretty impressive I've lasted until this week...

Anyway, here are the books and sites that have been influencing me in the past month.

Anything by Mark Batterson
I started reading In a Pit with A Lion on a Snowy Day right after attending Catalyst. Wild Goose Chase followed soon after, and I finished Primal during the first week of January. I feel like Batterson's books prepared me for what I'm doing now. And, I'm very thankful for the nudging my precious friend Katie received and obeyed about recommending them to me.

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
Dietrich Bonhoeffer is one of my hero guides. His life and writings have always influenced me, and I started this biography in the months leading up to January. What I am doing is so small compared to what he did but I like to think it's a step in the right direction.

Like a Rock: Becoming a Person of Character by Andy Stanley
The words God gave Andy Stanley at Catalyst on appetites changed my life. I can feel this book having the power to continue that good work.

Rees Howell, Intercessor by Norman Grubb
Sandy, a great family friend, suggested I read this book after hearing about our water project. It has left me with a lot to think about in regard to prayer and listening to the Spirit.

Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado
What a challenge the book of Acts is to the lives we Christians live today! I appreciated Lucado's introduction to it and valued his always helpful practical applications.

Websites:
The blog of charity:water
The Catalyst website and blog
Donald Miller's blog
Mark Batterson's blog

And here are some of the books I have lined up for late January, early February:
Soulprint: Discovering Your Divine Destiny by Mark Batterson
Zealous Love: A Practical Guide to Social Justice by Mike and Danae Yankoski

No comments:

Post a Comment