Thursday, January 27, 2011

Play Offense

I grew up in a football watching family. Over my thirty years, I've seen way too many games, know way too much useless info, listened to way too much commentary, and been disappointed by UGA way too many times. One thing I can remember hearing over and over again from commentators is: Defense wins games, not offense.

The other day I was reading a book review at work for Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won by Tobias Moskowitz and L. Jon Wertheim. According to the authors' research, statistics prove the opposite of what all those commentators have been saying: Offense wins games more often than defense does.

For many years I have played defense with my life. I think out every possible scenario and try to prepare for each one. I'm hardly ever spontaneous, and I love my routines. I make a list for each day, and I follow it. I avoid things that hurt to the degree that situations where they might occur are also avoided. I pray for easy solutions and simple answers. I dream small.

But, I have found that this type of living leaves me unsatisfied. The things my heart was breaking over weren't getting fixed. The causes I was giving to financially weren't really touching my heart, just my wallet. Each day was the same, and the skills I found within me and desires I knew in my heart had no outlet. I didn't feel peace.

I decided it was time to play offense. I heard about an after school literacy program and instead of donating money, I donated time. I decreased the amount of time I spent gaining knowledge and increased the amount of time I spent helping people. I began looking for ways that God could use me, and I prayed the terrifying prayer of surrender to whatever and where ever His will.

I'm still pretty new at this. My introvert personality still balks at talking with people and sending these posts out into the void which is the internet. I still feel a minute of fear whenever I sit down with one of the kids I read with after school because my plans for our session may not last beyond the next minute. I don't know where I'll be living, what I'll be doing, or who I'll be with in the future. But, I feel more peace. My ability to deal with the annoyances and difficulties of every day life has increased, and I'm happy.

God calls us forward. He doesn't tell us to sit at home and wait for the world to come knocking on our door. He doesn't tell us to be known for what we're against, but to be known for what we are for. He commissions us to go out in the world and make it a better place. After all, He is the ultimate player of offense - He sent His only son into our world. Jesus' whole game plan was offense, and it didn't end when He sacrificed Himself for us. He is still pursuing each one of us. And, He calls us to continue His work.

I don't regret the decision to play offense with my life. My life now has purpose and is bigger than me. I'm sure I'll slide into defense mode every once and while. But, now that I've tasted what it means to truly live, I won't be staying there long.

So, are you willing to switch from defense to offense?

(Oh and if you happen to be a member of the UGA football team, please ignore this post. Playing some defense next year would be a huge improvement!)

Note: This post is indebted to Mark Batterson's In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day. I'm just passing his challenge along.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Claire,

    Just know when you are playing offense, your team "has your back."

    Your Coach will make sure "that your strength is renewed... that you will soar on wings like eagles... that you will run and not grow weary... that you will walk and not be faint."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if you are going on offense now, does that mean you are AJ Green? :)

    - Your brother

    ReplyDelete