Saturday, January 15, 2011

Overwhelmed

A lot of people who I tell about our January project and my heart for clean water ask me if I'm overwhelmed by it all. I can see why they'd ask this: The problem is big. Rice and beans aren't the most exciting month long diet. $5000 is a lot of money. Writing a blog post a day is a lot of work. And, Darcy's new celebrity ego is borderline out of control.

I never really know how to respond to this question though. Of course, I'm overwhelmed. But, I've never felt during this month like that isn't a good thing. The word has a negative connotation that isn't relevant to my situation but yet it does apply.

So, I've found myself answering that yes, I'm overwhelmed but it's a good thing! Of course, that response causes blank stares so maybe I need to explain myself a little more clearly. There are three ways I'm experiencing being overwhelmed as a good thing.

First, I feel fully alive. As I pray and think during this month, my brain is bombarded with all sorts of ideas, plans, and hopes which I know are from the Holy Spirit. My brain is full and moving fast. But, instead of giving me a headache or making me feel out of control, it is incredibly energizing. I know that I am doing what God wants, and He is filling my thoughts with ways I can better obey Him. My brain is overwhelmed but it is also energized and excited.

Second, we usually associate being overwhelmed with having too much of a negative thing in our lives.  For example, too much pain, too much debt, too much stress, or too much hurt to deal with. But, what about when the thing overwhelming us is a positive thing? Something we would always want more of. For example, too much love, too much joy, or too much excitement. During this month, I am reaching levels of joy and contentment that I have only ever reached sporadically during my life and never for more than a few days at a time. Yes, these emotions are overwhelming but would I want them to end? Of course not.

Third, yes, I do have a lot going on. Living out this project while also trying to do my job and be a good friend, daughter, sister, coworker, church member, and random stranger is hard. It is tiring and makes for very busy days. But, it also makes my life very full. And, it isn't the kind of fullness I remember feeling during college when I was overwhelmed with my social and educational life and trying to merge the two. This fullness is from a sense of purpose. I am living right now with a conviction that I am doing God's will. Yes, it is overwhelming but it is also the best feeling ever. My life is full and has meaning. That can never be a bad thing.

I think too often we strive for lives that are calm and peaceful all the time. But, I have been learning that there is such a thing as holy stress and holy busyness. I pray we won't accept the lie that the goal of our life should be easiness and meaningless simplicity.

Take a risk; be overwhelmed. Or, if you still can't accept the word: be energized, consumed, and fully alive. See what God can do.

For a picture of what I think holy overwhelmedness looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment